Brown Bear Tour Series 2017
July 4 - 10, 2017. 7 Days, 6 nights: $6500. Deposit $1500.
Maximum 10 photographers + leader: Robert O’Toole
July 30 - August 5, 2017. 7 Days, 6 nights: $6900. Deposit $1500.
Maximum 4 photographers + leader Robert O’Toole. Sold out
August 5 - 12, 2017. 7 Days, 6 nights: $6900. Deposit $1500.
Maximum 4 photographers + leader Robert O’Toole. 1 opening.
If you would like to join me on this tour please act as soon as possible to avoid being disappointed.
Have you ever dreamed about the ultimate Alaskan photo tour that will allow you to experience bears and other wildlife close up in their natural surroundings. The wildlife and quality of the photographic opportunities in Katmai NP will surprise you. Robert OToole will lead a small private group of photographer into Katmai National Park and Preserve. This area is one of the finest wildlife areas in the US and has one of the highest concentrations of coastal brown bears on the planet and most importantly some of the very best wildlife photography opportunities anywhere. We have selected the most productive locations in the park to create a tour specifically for serious brown bear photography.
-This tour uses private and exclusive free access ensuring the we have the freedom to make our own schedule and maximize time spent in the field photographing.
-The photographic opportunities at our locations are some of the most productive areas in Alaska.
-We offer a real wildlife experience that literally surround very comfortable accommodations.
-We should have good chances to photograph bears fishing for salmon.
-Other possible targets include bald eagles, both species of puffin, and likely chances for hauled out harbor seals and possibly endangered Steller's Sea Lions.
-Halibut fishing is available (license required) is optional.
Why a Photo Tour?
This tour offers great opportunities to photograph and enjoy all of the amazing wildlife Alaska has to offer with an important difference: you are accompanied by a experienced professional photographer.
Why Should you Choose this Tour?
1. Photographers of all levels are welcome.
2. We are based in a completely wild and natural setting without any pressure from lodges, camps, or crowds.
3. This is a multiple camera system tour and we welcome owners of all brands.
4. The tour leader uses both Canon and Nikon systems and can offer help and advice for owners of either system.
5. 2016 will be the leader's 10th year leading coastal brown bear tours in Katmai.
6. We will be spending the largest part of our time making images in the field but will have free time for group and one on one image review and instruction.
7. The small group size with a leader and co-leader means more time and guidance for each participant, and questions are always encouraged.
8. You will receive a daily briefing and specific suggestions on the subject that is being targeted.
9. The tour pacing will suit everyone's needs and skill level.
• Shared accommodations.
• All daily transportation for photography in Katmai.
• All meals and snacks.
• In the field instruction, briefing and specific suggestions during each photography session.
• Thigh waders for photo excursions.
• Other activities such as fishing, wildlife viewing, etc.
• Services of the our guides & staff.
What's Not Included?
• Beer, wine, cocktails, or special soft drinks, Diet coke etc.
• Travel Insurance
• Meals or accommodation before or after the tour
The tour starts on Kodiak Island Alaska. On the first day of the tour you be met by a representative from our charter flight service at the airport or your hotel to to assist with a free shuttle transfer to the Trident Basin Floatplane Facility for your late morning flight to Katmai. On arrival you will be met by our hosts and after and relaxing lunch will go out for our first photography session of the day.
Over the next 5 days we meet at 6 am for a quick coffee then its out in the field for our morning photography session. We will be back at our base for late morning breakfast followed by a break for downloading, battery charging and rest. After our break we will be back out in the field after lunch for a second photography session then back to our headquarters for downloading and image review break. After dinner we will be out in the field until the light fades.
On the last day of the tour we will enjoy an early morning photography session then back for breakfast and preparing for our late morning flight back to Kodiak. There you will be transported by free shuttle service back to your hotel or to the airport to meet your flight out of Alaska that afternoon.
If you would like to join me for the experience of a lifetime, please let us know immediately via e-mail or by phone that you will be sending a deposit as I expect this trip to sell out.
Deposit: $1500. (Non-refundable unless the tour fills with 8.) A pre tour PDF with advice and equipment recommendations will be available on registration.
1st installment: $2500 due Jan 4 Final payment: $2500 due April 1
If you are unable to attend the workshop, after paying the balance, the balance payment will be refunded ONLY if your spot can be filled, on short notice, from the waiting list. Please email for more information.
All content (including text, design, photos, layout, and graphics) are copyright © 2015-2016 Robert OToole. All rights reserved.